Coeus was asked to review and update the IT strategy for this highly-regarded national membership organisation. The existing IT provision (including a highly customised CRM system) was not considered to be fit for purpose and both systems and governance / delivery needed change. The support required included:
- A current state assessment to understand existing capabilities, informed through stakeholder interviews and documentation review
- Analysis of the existing capabilities and business need
- Development of the roadmap activities needed to progress the IT Strategyand develop a further 3-5 year vision
- Supportin socialising the new strategy at all levels of the organisation from individuals in IT to the board and NEDs.
The overall objective was to form a detailed understand of the organisational business needs and current IT capability to propose a set of IT changes that would ensure ongoing alignment to business goals.
- An initial review covering systems, business capabilities, users and future plans
- A set of structured stakeholder interviews to gain a better understanding of the business needs and existing gaps
- Construction of a clear view on the future of the organisation, based on the changing role of membership organisations, to help define IT needs
- Identification of a clear set of opportunities based on evidenced gaps, including areas such as CRM changes, cloud and business relationships
- Development of a roadmap and prioritised activity plan to construct a detailed, business aligned and highly relevant updated strategy.
The Coeus team worked closely with senior IT and business staff to ensure we had a clear understanding of business needs and that there was clear evidence for the strategic IT recommendations. The deliverables to support this work included:
- A High levelPlan with milestones agreed to support focus on deliverables in the agreed sequence and business benefit timelines
- A slide deck detailing the approach, gaps and opportunities identified and actions needed to address (including an IT capability assessment)
- A high-level roadmap prioritizing the identified actions and including any other activities needed to progress the strategy
- A presentation to senior stakeholders to summarisethe review.
The aim of this engagement was to develop a well –evidenced and supported clear set of actions to support development of an updated, more relevant IT function.
The benefits of the Coeus engagement included:
- A clear alignment from the business strategy and plans to the IT roadmap
- Developmentof a clear set of governance arrangements and IT principles
- Identification and development of additional strategic opportunities based on external experience and trends, such as use of cloud services and data strategies
- Prioritisation of activities based on business value, cost and ease of implementation
- Demonstrated stakeholder support for all strategic activities
- Further opportunities for cost reduction and avoidance.